US military ready to strike Iran as Trump weighs decision: Report

0
US military ready to strike Iran as Trump weighs decision: Report

The U.S. military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this weekend, though President Donald Trump has not made a final decision. The White House has been briefed that the buildup of air and naval assets in recent days puts forces in a position for action within days, according to a new CNN report.

Sources told CNN that Trump has argued both sides internally and has asked advisers and allies what they would do. One source said he is “spending a lot of time thinking about this.”

The timing follows a second round of indirect nuclear talks in Geneva Tuesday, a session that ran more than three hours. Both sides agreed to continue discussions, but key disputes remain unresolved.

White House keeps force in play

Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday night that Iran did not acknowledge core U.S. demands.

“In some ways it went well — they agreed to meet afterwards,” Vance told Fox News. “But in other ways, it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through.”

He added that Trump has “a lot of options and a lot of tools” to stop Iran from getting a nuclear weapon.

On Wednesday, press secretary Karoline Leavitt said there had been “a little bit of progress,” but confirmed major gaps remain. She would not set a deadline.

“There’s many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran,” Leavitt said, while repeating that “diplomacy is always his first option.” She added Iran would be “very wise to make a deal with President Trump and the administration.”


This story is featured in today’s Unbiased Updates. Watch the full episode here.


Forces move into position

The Pentagon has surged significant assets to the region.

The USS Gerald R. Ford could arrive as soon as this weekend — joining the USS Abraham Lincoln — along with additional warships, aircraft, and air defense systems already deployed. Tankers and fighter jets based in the United Kingdom are also moving closer to the region.

Trump said last week the second carrier was deployed in case talks collapse. “If we don’t have a deal, we’ll need it,” he said.

For its part, Iran is reinforcing parts of its nuclear and military infrastructure. Satellite imagery reviewed by the Institute for Science and International Security shows new concrete and soil layered over sections of the Parchin military complex. Other images show efforts to harden tunnel entrances near nuclear facilities including Isfahan.

Vantor/Handout via REUTERS

The institute said some of the work could make facilities more resistant to airstrikes, though it remains unclear how much protection that would provide against a large-scale U.S. strike.

Lawmakers move to assert war powers

On Capitol Hill, lawmakers are moving to assert congressional authority over any potential strike.

Reps. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., and Ro Khanna, D-Calif., said they plan to introduce a war powers resolution next week aimed at forcing a vote to limit Trump’s ability to take military action without congressional approval.

Several members have said they were not briefed in advance of the recent military buildup.

Oil jumps on strike talk

Oil prices climbed more than 4% Wednesday after Vance’s remarks underscored that military force remains on the table.

U.S. crude and Brent both moved sharply higher after earlier trading in hopes that diplomacy might hold.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard also conducted drills this week in the Strait of Hormuz, a key transit route for global oil shipments. Iranian state media said parts of the strait were temporarily closed during exercises, though energy analysts said they saw no confirmed disruption to shipping.

IRGC/WANA (West Asia News Agency)/Handout via REUTERS

Meantime, Russian state media released video of a Russian naval warship docking in Iran ahead of joint exercises in the Gulf of Oman.

Decision pending

Trump has repeatedly said he wants a new nuclear deal and has expressed confidence that Iran prefers an agreement over confrontation. But he hasn’t ruled out another strike and has hinted at broader objectives beyond nuclear limits.

So far, the administration hasn’t outlined specific terms for sanctions relief if Iran agrees to U.S. demands, which include ending uranium enrichment. Iran maintains its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes and has indicated willingness to exchange draft texts to frame a potential agreement.

The post US military ready to strike Iran as Trump weighs decision: Report appeared first on Straight Arrow News.

Ella Rae Greene, Editor In Chief

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *