Trump ends Harris’ Secret Service detail, extended by Biden order

0
Trump ends Harris’ Secret Service detail, extended by Biden order

President Donald Trump announced he canceled former Vice President Kamala Harris‘ extended Secret Service detail on Friday. A new CNN report revealed that former President Joe Biden extended her original post-White House detail from six months to a year.

Officials did not share the Biden directive with the public until now. It does not share details as to why the former president extended her protection.

Vice president Secret Service protections

Former presidents receive Secret Service protection for life, while vice presidents only receive protection up to six months after leaving office. However, Biden extended Harris’ details before he left office in January.

Harris’ original Secret Service detail was set to end July 21. However, Biden’s order extended it another six months.

Trump canceled the protection in a letter titled “Memorandum for the Secretary of Homeland Security.”

According to CNN, the letter read, “You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris.”

Harris’ upcoming public appearances

The move comes just weeks before Harris begins her national book tour for her upcoming memoir, 107 Days. The tour will bring her into the public eye for the first time since the 2024 election, when Trump defeated her in the presidential race.

Harris took charge of the Democratic campaign during the 2024 presidential race after Biden withdrew from the contest.

Harris’ advisers told CNN she remains grateful to the Secret Service for its service. However, they said she worries about the loss of federal threat monitoring and protection around her Los Angeles home.

Heightened Secret Service

Trump’s relationship with the Secret Service has been a hot topic since the assassination attempts against the president last year.

Unbiased. Straight Facts.TM

The Secret Service consists of 3,200 special agents, 1,300 uniform division officers and more than 2,000 technical, administrative and professional support staff.

Following the July 2024 attempt on Trump’s life in Butler, Pennsylvania, the Secret Service said it reviewed its operations and agents. In a July 2025 news release, the Secret Service stated it’s “laser-focused on ensuring that those we are sworn to protect, the public and the dedicated men and women of the Secret Service are never let down again.”

It said over the past year, the agency has “reviewed the recommendations made by external oversight bodies and subsequently implemented numerous operational, policy and organizational reforms.”

“The reforms made over this last year are just the beginning. The agency will continue to assess its operations, review recommendations and make additional changes as needed,” the agency said in its release.

Revoked Secret Service protections

Trump also previously revoked Secret Service protection for Biden’s two adult children: Hunter and Ashley Biden. It is common for family members of former presidents to have protections for a certain period of time. Often, that period has been six months after their administration ends. However, it is up to the current sitting president to set that time frame.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for more updates.

Ella Rae Greene, Editor In Chief

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *