No broadcast, no problem: Talarico rakes in cash after Colbert interview pulled from CBS

0
No broadcast, no problem: Talarico rakes in cash after Colbert interview pulled from CBS

Under normal circumstances, a political candidate would suffer a major blow if his interview was pulled from a national broadcast the night before early voting begins. But for James Talarico, it may have been a political boost. 

Talarico, a Democrat running for the U.S. Senate from Texas, raised more than $2.5 million for his campaign in the 24 hours after late-night host Stephen Colbert said CBS blocked the interview from airing. Colbert posted the interview on YouTube, where it garnered more than 5 million views. 

Talarico said it’s the largest single-day fundraising period of the campaign, which he said is “by and for the people.”

“I’m proud that neighbors from all across our state and country stood together to defend free speech,” Talarico said. “This is the most dangerous kind of cancel culture, the kind that comes from the top. A threat to one of our First Amendment rights is a threat to all of our First Amendment rights.”

Colbert moves Talarico interview to YouTube

As Straight Arrow News previously reported, during his opening monologue of “The Late Show” on Monday, Colbert told viewers that CBS lawyers had informed him that Talarico could not appear on the broadcast.

Colbert added that he was told not to mention the cancellation, and attributed the network’s decision to renewed scrutiny of the Federal Communications Commission’s equal-time rule. 

However, CBS has denied that it forced Colbert not to air the interview. 

“The Late Show was not prohibited by CBS from broadcasting the interview with Rep. James Talarico,” the network said in a statement. “The show was provided legal guidance that the broadcast could trigger the FCC equal-time rule for two other candidates, including Rep. Jasmine Crockett, and presented options for how the equal time for other candidates could be fulfilled.”

Colbert and Talarico respond to controversy

Colbert responded to the network’s statement Tuesday night, saying it issued a statement without speaking with him. He added that the FCC’s equal time rule has never applied to talk shows, and still doesn’t.

“I am grateful to have worked for CBS …,” Colbert said. “I am just so surprised that this giant, global corporation would not stand up to these bullies.” 

Colbert isn’t the only one to blame the FCC and the Trump administration. Talarico shared a clip from the interview on X early Tuesday, saying, “This is the interview Donald Trump didn’t want you to see.”

“His FCC refused to air my interview with Stephen Colbert,” Talarico wrote. “Trump is worried we’re about to flip Texas.”

Talarico also commented on the issue during a campaign event Tuesday night. 

“Corporate media executives are selling out the First Amendment to curry favor with corrupt politicians,” he said.

“A threat to any of our First Amendment rights is a threat to all of our First Amendment rights,” he added. “Whether you’re a Democrat or Republican, whether you’re conservative or progressive, the real fight in this country is not left versus right, it’s top versus bottom.”

Jasmine Crockett weighs in

Rep. Jasmine Crockett, one of Talarico’s opponents in the Democratic primary, also commented on the controversy, saying on MS Now that she’s never had an issue with Colbert’s show, where she has made two appearances. 

“I think that it was a good strategy,” she said of Colbert’s decision to post the video to YouTube. However, she said the video gave her opponent “the boost he was looking for.”

The post No broadcast, no problem: Talarico rakes in cash after Colbert interview pulled from CBS appeared first on Straight Arrow News.

Ella Rae Greene, Editor In Chief

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *