Ebola outbreak in the DRC and Uganda rises to more than 960 cases
The Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda has grown to 968 suspected and confirmed cases, including 216 deaths, as Congo reports another sharp increase and Uganda confirms its first cases of transmission inside the country, according to health officials.
The latest figures, released on Saturday, show a significant increase since BNO News’ last update on Thursday, when 739 suspected and confirmed cases had been reported across the two countries.
In Congo, health officials said the number of confirmed cases has risen to 91, up from 64 on Thursday. Suspected cases have increased to 867, bringing the country’s total to 963 suspected and confirmed cases.
Congo has also reported 214 deaths, including 10 confirmed deaths and 204 suspected deaths. That is up from 166 deaths reported in the country on Thursday.
The outbreak has now spread to 12 health zones across three regions, according to the latest figures from Congo. Health officials are also monitoring 1,745 close contacts.
Uganda’s health ministry confirmed three new cases, bringing the country’s total to five. Officials said the new cases include the first instances of transmission inside Uganda linked to the initial cases, which had been imported from Congo. The death toll remains at one.
The outbreak is caused by Bundibugyo virus, a species of Ebola virus for which there are no approved vaccines or therapeutics. The virus can spread through direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids of infected people or those who have died from the disease.
WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros declared a public health emergency of international concern last Sunday, saying urgent action was needed because the virus had been circulating before the outbreak was detected. WHO has assessed the risk as high to very high at the national and regional levels and low globally.
The outbreak has reached several urban areas in eastern Congo, including Bunia and Goma, and deaths have been reported among health workers, indicating transmission linked to healthcare settings.
The post Ebola outbreak in the DRC and Uganda rises to more than 960 cases appeared first on BNO News.