3 dead, 18 first responders exposed to unknown substance at New Mexico home

0
Clear media

Three people are dead and 18 first responders were hospitalized after being exposed to an unidentified substance at a home in central New Mexico, according to state police. Two first responders are in serious condition.

New Mexico State Police said the incident began at about 11 a.m. on Wednesday at a residence on Hanlon Avenue in Mountainair, a town southeast of Albuquerque, where deputies initially responded to what was believed to be a suspected overdose involving an unknown substance.

Four people were found unresponsive inside the home. Two were pronounced deceased when responders arrived, and a third person from the residence later died, according to Mountainair Mayor Peter Nieto.

State police said the surviving occupant and 18 first responders were taken to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where they are being quarantined, evaluated and monitored. The agency said the exposed responders had symptoms including nausea and dizziness.

Nieto said three of four Mountainair EMS workers had been released from the hospital, though they were not fully recovered. He said EMS Chief Josh Lewis, who was the first to enter the home, remained hospitalized overnight for observation.

Mayor Peter Nieto said some Torrance County EMTs also experienced symptoms after coming into contact with people from the scene. He initially said nurses from the University of New Mexico had also shown symptoms, but later said UNM Hospital confirmed it had not treated any UNM nurses in connection with the incident.

Albuquerque Fire Rescue HazMat crews are assisting at the home as investigators work to identify the substance. State police said investigators believe the substance may be transmitted through contact and do not believe it is airborne.

Nieto said Mountainair Public Works had already confirmed the incident was not related to carbon monoxide or natural gas.

State police said there is no threat to the public. A secure perimeter has been established, and the affected area remains limited to the residence.

The post 3 dead, 18 first responders exposed to unknown substance at New Mexico home appeared first on BNO News.

Ella Rae Greene, Editor In Chief

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *