Security guard stopped San Diego mosque attack from killing more
A security guard and two other men who were killed in an attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego helped prevent two teenage suspects from reaching areas where about 140 children were hiding, according to police and mosque officials.
The shooting was reported at about 11:43 a.m. on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the 7000 block of Eckstrom Avenue in Clairemont, where officers arrived within four minutes and found three victims outside the mosque, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said.
Wahl said the two suspects ran past the security guard, most likely without knowing he was there, before the guard saw the threat and opened fire. Both suspects returned fire, and the guard was seen reaching for his radio to call for a lockdown before continuing to exchange gunfire with them.
“His actions without a doubt delayed, distracted and ultimately deterred these two individuals from gaining access to the greater areas of the mosque, where as many as 140 kids were within 15 feet of these suspects,” Wahl said. “Tragically, he died in that gun battle.”
The guard was identified by Imam Taha Hassane, director of the Islamic Center, as Amin Abdullah, who Hassane also referred to as Brian Climax. Hassane said Abdullah “never stopped smiling” at community members and visitors.
“If it was not for him, the carnage would be much worse,” Hassane said. “He is the one who stopped them, who slowed them up. If he didn’t do what he did, and he sacrificed his life, the two suspects would have easily accessed every single classroom.”
Chief Wahl said the gunfire and the lockdown gave people inside the mosque enough time to get out of common areas and hide. Video from the mosque showed the suspects entering areas where no one was present before they appeared to notice the two remaining victims in the parking lot.
Those victims were identified as Mansour Kaziha, a longtime member of the Islamic Center, and Nadir Awad, a neighbor whose wife teaches at the Islamic school. Hassane said Kaziha, also known as AbulEez, had been part of the community since the center was built in 1986 and had served as a handyman, cook, caretaker and storekeeper.
Hassane said Awad lived across the street from the Islamic Center and came there every day for prayers. He said Awad ran toward the center after hearing gunfire and joined Kaziha as they tried to help protect people.
“Mansour Kaziha was the first one who called 911 right before he was killed,” Hassane said. “Both of them tried to do something. They were hiding in the parking lot next to the kitchen. They tried to do something to protect, but unfortunately they sacrificed their lives to protect the entire community inside the Islamic Center of San Diego.”
Wahl said the two victims drew the suspects’ attention back outside, where they were cornered and killed. He said the arrival of police officers seconds later appeared to push the suspects back to their vehicle and away from the mosque.
“I truly believe that’s what saved the 140 kids that were just inside,” Wahl said.
At about the same time, police began receiving reports of additional gunfire a few blocks away. Wahl said a landscaper was shot at in the 7100 block of Salerno Street but was not hit. Officers later found the suspects dead inside a vehicle in the 3800 block of Hatton Street from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
Mark Remily, the special agent in charge of FBI San Diego, said investigators believe the suspects were radicalized online and met through online communications before realizing they both lived in the San Diego area. He said a manifesto has been recovered.
Remily said agents executed three search warrants at residences linked to the suspects and seized more than 30 guns, a crossbow, ammunition, tactical gear and electronics. The guns were not registered to the suspects and belonged to the parents of one of them.
Investigators also found writing in the suspects’ vehicle describing religious and racial beliefs, Remily said. “These subjects did not discriminate on who they hated.”
Wahl said the mother of the younger suspect called police about two hours before the shooting. He said the information first came in as a report involving a runaway suicidal person before officers’ understanding of the threat expanded to a possible homicidal situation involving two suspects.
The post Security guard stopped San Diego mosque attack from killing more appeared first on BNO News.