23 states and D.C. sue Trump administration over HHS funding cuts
Ella Greene April 2, 2025 0
- Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia are suing the Trump administration over $11.4 billion in funding cuts by the Department of Health and Human Services. The CDC says the funds were allocated for COVID-19-related programs, while the attorneys general argue the funding is being used for necessary programs.
- The lawsuit, filed in Rhode Island, argues the cuts violate federal law, jeopardize public health, and harm key initiatives, including the opioid crisis and mental health programs.
- New York Attorney General Letitia James condemned the move, stating it would have devastating consequences, while HHS has not commented on the lawsuit.
Full Story
Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia are suing the Trump administration over funding cuts by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
CDC announces COVID-19 funding cuts
Last week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced it was pulling back $11.4 billion in COVID-19 funding previously allocated to state and local health departments. The funds were intended for COVID-19 testing, vaccinations and other pandemic-related health concerns.
“The COVID-19 pandemic is over, and HHS will no longer waste billions of taxpayer dollars responding to a non-existent pandemic that Americans moved on from years ago,” HHS Director of Communications Andrew Nixon said in a statement.
But were the funds specifically for COVID-19?
However, the 23 states and D.C. are arguing that the funds were previously allocated for public health, mental health, and addiction initiatives, according to a news release from New York Attorney General Letitia James.
In the lawsuit, filed in federal court in Rhode Island, the plaintiffs argue that terminating the funding violates federal law, jeopardizes public health, and will have devastating consequences for communities nationwide.
“Slashing this funding now will reverse our progress on the opioid crisis, throw our mental health systems into chaos, and leave hospitals struggling to care for patients,” James said in a statement. “My office is taking immediate action to stop this heartless and shortsighted move and ensure these life-saving programs remain intact.”
The lawsuit also states that key public health programs will be canceled, while thousands of healthcare workers will lose their jobs.
HHS told multiple news outlets that it does not comment on pending litigation.
In a separate move, HHS began laying off workers Tuesday morning, April 1. The agency announced last week that it would be laying off about 10,000 full-time workers, which is meant to save taxpayers $1.8 billion annually.
Related Stories
Ella Rae Greene, Editor In Chief
Ella Greene
Ella and the staff at Clear Media Project (CMP) curate these articles.
Unless otherwise noted CMP does not write these articles.
The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the articles published on this blog belong solely to the original authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the blog owner. The blog owner does not claim ownership of the content shared by contributors and is not responsible for any inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.
All rights and credits goes to its rightful owners. No Copyright Infringement is intended. If you believe any content infringes on your rights, please contact us for review and potential removal.